** The following is subject to change based on state and federal requirements. **
The Ohio Department of Health and Ohio Department of Education released COVID-19 Health and Prevention Guidance for Ohio K-12 Schools during the week of July 26. Although current guidance is based on epidemiologic information, regulation, and law, the Ohio Department of Health (ODH), Ohio Department of Education (ODE), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Miami County Public Health are providing local school districts and boards of education with recommendations, not orders or mandates.
The Milton-Union Exempted Village School District encourages students, families, and staff to follow these recommendations. However, at the present time, the school district is only communicating existing recommendations, not requirements or mandates. District personnel and Board of Education Members will monitor the health, safety, and wellness of students and staff members frequently, and although local circumstances may require additional action and increased protections (i.e., excessive illness, high student and staff member absences, etc.), the district will not enforce a mask requirement at this time aside from the CDC mandate regarding school transportation. Similarly, the district will not require vaccination for staff members and students. The Milton-Union Exempted Village School District recognizes the decision to mask or vaccinate is an individual choice best left to students, families, and employees. However, students, families, and staff members should consider the following factors in decision-making.
- Students and staff members who experience symptoms of COVID-19 should remain home. District and building personnel will continue to contact parents and families of students who are sick or become sick while at school. Follow the link for the revised version of the district’s Restart Plan 2021-22 for current protocols. www.muschools.com/page/restart
- Students and staff members who are unmasked and unvaccinated could be subject to Miami County Public Health quarantine recommendations.
- The district will maintain proactive strategies for the cleaning and sanitization of school facilities for the foreseeable future.
- The CDC continues to mandate that masks be worn on school transportation regardless of student and staff member vaccination status.
- The district will monitor new developments and changing circumstances closely.
District personnel and Board of Education Members understand the strong feelings of our families and community members regarding these issues. As much as possible and as much as we are able, the district intends to leave these decisions to individual students and families for them to determine the best course of action including, but not limited to, masking and vaccination.
If you have any questions, please contact the Board of Education or one of the building offices. Thank you for your continued support of Milton-Union Schools.